Friday, June 27, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I'm in the process of saying goodbye to all my friends here in Moldova.

It's hard. It's emotional. It's bittersweet. It's necessary.

I try to say proper goodbyes filled with warm thoughts, thankfulness, and well wishes, but each time, I am brought to tears.

I didn't realize how emotional the closure process would be. I think that I will continue to cry as I pack and say my goodbyes. I am not afraid of the tears though. I just wish that I was able to hold them back long enough to have a conversation. I don't get to say all that I want to say because my emotions won't let me. Hopefully, my friends understand and can sense what I am trying to say.

Today I cried while having a debriefing meeting with my mentor missionaries. We decided that I should just send them an email to tell them exactly what I want to say. The conversation with all the words I want to say is just not going to happen in person.

I started to cry while telling my landlords goodbye. My landlady, Nina did cry. It was a sad goodbye. They have been like parents to me here. They have made my apartment such a comfortable place; a place that feels like home.

I have learned so much, grown so much, experienced so much, and changed a lot here. My life the past 11 months has been here!!

This is tough stuff. I would appreciate your prayers very much.

On a lighter note,
today one of my friends was telling me goodbye and she said, "Loneliness kills." She was saying all these beautiful and encouraging words to me. She was telling me what she hopes for my future. And she said, " I hope you get married. Because loneliness kills." I have never heard it said quite like that before.

Then, I met another friend in a park to say goodbye. We walked down(not bad) and back up(the hard part) a lot of stairs. I mentioned that I would be out of breath by the time we reached the top of the stairs. My friend who is really thin and in shape said, " This is easy for me. I do this all the time. I walk everyday."
I'll be the first to admit that I am out of shape.
After some time I said, " Wow. I am out of breath. This is hard. My friend kid you not said, " This is no problem for me. You see, if I were round it would be hard for me, but it is not hard for me. HaHa. Thanks a lot. :)

No comments: