Saturday, May 31, 2008

Leftovers

I grew up eating leftovers. I don't have a problem eating leftovers. I actually enjoy it. I have a problem with NOT eating leftovers. My thought is: Why be wasteful?? (Especially when you have a mother who can cook!)

I usually don't eat other people's leftovers. In general, I wouldn't just go over to a friend's house and ask for their leftovers. On occasion I have stayed at someone's house and they offered leftovers. AND I'm thankful.

BUT I certainly wouldn't eat leftovers from complete strangers. The point I am getting to is this: The other day I saw someone eating leftovers. Except this individual, a Moldovan man,wasn't eating from a friend's table. He was eating straight out of the garbage dump.

It makes me so sad that people are so hungry that they will eat the leftovers and scraps that others have thrown out with the garbage. Yet, this is often the case. The other day wasn't the first time I saw someone eating from the trash. I see it often here. For this reason, if I have food that is leftover or stale, I will put it out on top of the trash lid so that someone searching for food can grab it.

BUT people aren't just searching for food to relieve their physical hunger pains, I believe people are thirsty and hungry for life. For salvation. I pray that they will know God and his everlasting life through His Son Jesus who is the Bread of Life. I pray that they would come to know Jesus, the very one who is the living water. Jesus says in John 4:14, "But whoever drinks the water I give will never be thirsty. The water I give will become a spring of water gushing up inside that person, giving eternal life."

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Have I mentioned you should write abook...you're so great Shauna!! Love you!