Thursday, March 27, 2008

Light vs. Dark

This past weekend I lost power in my apartment for 24 hours. It wasn't too frustrating because for about 8 of those hours I was sleeping and for another 5 plus hours I was out of the apartment. It stayed light outside until about 6:30pm. So, I didn't have too long to sit in the darkness. I lit three candles(that's how many candles I had). The candles weren't all that bright, but they provided adequate lighting for such a short time. This experience was a good reminder of the verses in the Bible about light and darkness.

2 Samuel 22:29
You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light.

Psalm 139:12
...even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

Isaiah 42:16
I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.

At one point in the process of trying to figure out how to get the power restored I became slightly frustrated. I didn't know what to do. The Lord gently reminded me to trust Him and He will take care of all things. During the time without power, I decided to read, cook(that was interesting in the dark),and sleep. I haven't been to bed that early in a long time. :) At one point in the process,I was talking on my cell phone in English, my apartment phone in Romanian(to my landlord), and in Romanian to my friendly neighbor who was trying to help. Finally, the electric company came to my apartment at 11pm and restored power. I'm sure the worker thought I was crazy. I was clapping and saying thank you over and over.(I almost hugged the workers from the electric company) I was so thrilled to have electricity again.

It wasn't a huge inconvenience really. I wanted to check email, but that wasn't a huge deal. The main problem I had with the power being out was the darkness. I don't like being in the dark for long. I want to be able to see all that is going all around me. I think I often associate darkness with fear. Fear of the unknown.

Another thing I was thinking about was: What would it be like to live in darkness all the time? For many this is a reality. All over the world there are people without electricity. But also, for many this is a spiritually reality. Many people all over the world are living in darkeness without the hope and light of Jesus. As Christians we should be the light of Jesus to those around us.

I am thankful that I personally know the LAMP that turns my darkness into light.
I am thankful that He guides me and lights my paths. I am thankful that I know Jesus, the Light of the world.

No comments: