Sunday, August 5, 2007

Arrival in Moldova!

I arrived in Moldova approx. 7pm on August 1st. It was a long trip over that included little sleep, going through security numerous times, walking all over airports, waiting in lines, and showing a boarding pass/passport over and over again. I felt extremely tired and pretty sick to my stomach most of the trip, but the Lord helped me to be a real trooper! The whole experience was really new and included a lot of firsts for me, since I've never been overseas. God is faithful! We made our trip with no major problems and we were able to claim all of our luggage. That is a miracle in and of itself.

My time here thus far has been really good. I've kept really busy and I'm very aware that I am really in Moldova. The food is good! I've had chicken, potatoes, corn, and lots of bread. Some of the more common foods during meal time are bread, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, and deli meats. Not bad. I've also had a nice bed each night and a hot shower each day. Not bad at all! There's no air conditioning at home or church, but I am getting use to it. Today was church. It was good to be with the Body of Christ even though I didn't understand what was being said. It makes me think about Heaven and how all of God's people will worship together forever. It is a very different experience, but very good. Instead of just one sermon, there were six sermons today. Every minister that is a guest in the church must share a sermon. It's a cultural thing. There were several guest because the church was ordaining a deacon. There was also special music in between sermons. We also had communion. We had the bread like normal(like I'm used to), but we all drank out of the same cup. That was a little different! Also, a cell phone went off in church...even in Moldova! We had Moldovan pizza and coca-cola (hot and without ice) for lunch. Good. I've been drinking lots of water! Very good, cool, filtered water! There is also mineral(gas) water which isn't as good and it has quite a kick to it.
This will be all for now.. I am journaling all the details....
God bless you all,
Shauna

8 comments:

lbaker74 said...

Hey I am glad to hear you made it ok. If you need anything please let me know.

Patricia said...

Hi Shauna! I'm glad that you made it safely to Moldova. I've been thinking about you and praying for you! It sounds like you are doing good and that's good to hear. Love you girl!

Casey Dawn said...

Yay Shauna! I'm so proud of you! I'm glad everything is going so well. I keep thinking of you, which just prompts me to pray for you. God's pretty cool like that. I can't wait to continue to read whats up in your life. Love ya lots!! PS...Your communion method drinking out of the same cup is the ONLY way I thought communion was supposed to be the first 15 years of my life!!)

Sherry said...

Shauna - Sounds like you are doing great! We are so proud of you! Have you started homeschooling yet? Michaela starts school this Monday - pray that she will find some good friends! I'm hoping that she can e-mail with the Raatz girls when ya'll get settled in -
Well, just wanted to let you know that we were thinking of you - Love, Sherry

Emily said...

I echo all of those that say "yay!" and "I am so proud!" You made it. After all those conversations and lists and packing and sorting you are finally there! I know that this year will be so rich with experiences (it is funny the things you notice a bunch, huh?). I prayed for you today! I have been thinking about you a whole whole lot (I woke up in the middle of the night once and couldn't get you off my mind!). Like Casey said, when that happens, I just pray. I love putting you in Gods hands. Love you, Em

Jess said...

I'm so glad you made it okay. I'm sure you will have many firsts while you are in Moldova. I love you and miss you!

Opal said...

It's exciting to read your comment and to also know you are doing well. Just remember you are missed and loved : )

Unknown said...

Shauna I am so glad you made it safely. I am definately praying for you, and I look forward to hearing of all that God is doing in your life. Take care.w/ love
Allison